The Western Cape Industrial Symbiosis Programme (WISP) is a multiple award-winning free facilitation service to businesses that is fully funded by the City of Cape Town. Our WISP facilitators provide our business members with dedicated time and technical expertise, connecting companies with unused or residual resources such as materials, energy, water, assets, logistics and expertise.By sharing resources, our members:
- Cut costs and increase profit
- Improve their business processes
- Create new revenue streams
- Learn from us and each other
- Operate more sustainably
No company is too big or too small to benefit from WISP, and we work with members from different industries. For example, we've facilitated successful synergies in the food, textile and manufacturing industries. Membership is free regardless of sector, size or turnover given that our work is funded by the Western Cape Department of Economic Development and Tourism.
How we work and our impact
We reach out to businesses and industry and set up meetings and site visits. The aims of these engagements are to ask a lot of questions, understand a business's operations and waste streams and, ultimately, to identify unused/underutilised resources.
We capture this data into our secure online database, SYNERGie™ and we then work to identify potential matches between businesses in the network.
Thereafter, we facilitate engagements and resource exchanges between matched businesses. Our service is free and all we will ask is for your feedback on the financial, social and environmental benefits of the match.
The cumulative impact of WISP over the last five years has been the following:
- 27 436 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill
- 73 831 fossil GHG emissions saved (equivalent to nine 2.2MW wind turbines installed in SA)
- R43.08 million generated in financial benefits (additional revenue, cost savings and private investments)
- 143 jobs created in the economy (25 directly in member companies)