FNF GreenPitch Challenge 2019
Enter your green economy innovation to win business support, funding and networking exposure
Closing date for competition entries is Friday, 29 November 2019
About the pitching competition
GreenCape and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF), in partnership with Invest Cape Town, an initiative of the City of Cape Town, invites innovators and entrepreneurs with economically viable green economy innovation business ideas to enter the FNF GreenPitch Challenge 2019.
Enter your green economy innovation business idea to stand a chance of pitching to a panel of esteemed judges at a “shark tank-style” networking event, hosted in Cape Town on 12 December 2019.
Entry requirement: Your green economy innovation business idea has to align with at least one of the Green Economy sectors and identified investment opportunities highlighted in the 2020 Market Intelligence Reports overview video, available here.
Stand a chance to pitch your idea to and network with potential investors, business incubators, local government decision-makers and green economy experts.
As part of the journey towards resilience, GreenCape, FNF and Invest Cape Town offers their support to innovators and entrepreneurs in the green economy landscape. The winner of the FNF GreenPitch Challenge 2019 will be awarded with R30 000 in kind worth of business support through GreenCape.
Who can enter?
Innovators and entrepreneurs with economically viable green economy innovation business ideas.
Your business idea can be in any phase of development: Pre-venture (Ideation, Conceptual); Start-up (Registered and trading/Research and development); Pre-growth (Registered and trading/ Break-even); Growth (Established and profitable) or Mature (Scaling/ Commercialising).
Please note: The challenge is open to national entries, but finalists will need to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements to pitch in person in Cape Town on 12 December 2019.
The winner of the GreenPitch Challenge will be awarded with R30 000 in kind worth of business support. The type of support on offer could include:
Business plan development assistance
Growth trajectory guidance
Market opportunities insights
Access to funding and raising finance
Marketing assistance and media exposure
Hardware and digital tech-support
Business mentorship and skills training
Local and international investor matchmaking
How to enter the Competition
There are 2 stages to qualify as one of the top finalists for the pitching event:
Stage 1: Entries
Step 1: Watch the GreenCape 2020 Market Intelligence Reports overview video
GreenCape is a non-profit organisation that drives the widespread adoption of economically viable green economy solutions from South Africa. GreenCape’s sector desks are in a unique position to collect, create, and disseminate free market intelligence on the green economy that is shared through annual flagship market intelligence reports. The GreenCape MIRs are written for investors and businesses who are currently active or interested in green economy sectors in Southern Africa.
The 2020 MIRs will be officially launched in April 2020. Watch the 2020 Market Intelligence Reports overview video, available here for a preliminary overview of the key investment opportunities identified in each green economy sector.
Step 2: Submit your entry
Tell us why you should be given the opportunity to pitch your innovation, start-up, or business at the pitching event on 12 December 2019
How to enter: Fill out the Challenge entry form below. This form allows applicants to submit either a 500-word written motivation (PDF), 10-slide PowerPoint, or a 5-minute recorded video
Your entry will be assessed by a screening panel according to the following five equally weighted categories: Innovation, Commercial Viability, Commitment to Local (manufacturing / content etc.), Impact (job creation potential and resource efficiency) and Alignment to a green economy sector 2020 MIR opportunity. Please make sure these categories are clearly addressed by your submission.
- GreenPitch Challenge entries open: Monday, 18th November 2019
- Closing date for entries: Friday, 29th November 2019
- Finalists announced: Thursday, 5 December 2019
- How to enter: Fill out the Challenge entry form below. This form allows applicants to submit either a 500-word written motivation (PDF), 10-slide PowerPoint, or a 5-minute recorded video.
Stage 2: Finalists to prepare their pitch
Top finalists will have a week to prepare a 7-minute (strictly timed) pitch for the event
Finalists announcement by GreenCape: Thursday, 5th December 2019 at 16h00
The finalists will stand a chance to win business development support worth R30,000. Terms and conditions apply.
The winner will be selected by a judging panel on the Day of the Event
Competition Terms and Conditions:
- Individuals, businesses, or consortia can submit competition entries.
- The closing date for entries is Friday, 29 November 2019 at 12:00.
- Entries can only be submitted online via the competition form provided.
- The competition hosts will not cover costs associated with entries, subsistence or travel.
- Finalists can deliver the event pitch as an individual or maximum group of 2 representatives.
- All technology and innovation IP rights are reserved with the applicants and finalists.
- The competition hosts reserve the right to make use of any content submitted or presented at the event for marketing and media purposes.
- The competition hosts reserve the right to disqualify an applicant or deem a submission invalid.
- The final selection outcome and announcement of the competition winner cannot be contested.
- Finalists will be notified by 5 December 2019 at 16:00.
- No liability will be accepted by the host in regard to anything arising from the event, submissions or participation.